Sunday, May 12, 2019

With so little cash, what to do for Mother's Day



    When my checking account balance dropped to such a small amount, I knew that I was going to have to make changes in my spending habits. I have done well so far. I was very careful to follow my grocery list with the result being a bill that was at least sixty dollars less than the week before. I have stayed out of the garden centers or places such as Lowe's garden centers. I've bought nothing that wasn't needed.
But Mother's Day.
 I could not ignore Mother's Day. I could not, not do something for mom. I knew that she had said that the chair that I gave her for her birthday was enough for her birthday and for Mother's Day, but I wanted to do something on this day. The less expensive it was, the better because even though mom doesn't know of my financial blunder, she still worries over how much we spend on her.
So, what to do?
 Then I remembered. She has been after me to get some photos that I took printed out for her to have. I never got my printer set up to take anything less than half a page and she said she would be happy with a 4x6. I uploaded them to a web site of wally world, waited for the email letting me know they were ready then drove down to pick them up.
 I walked into this store and wished I had my winter coat. They had the air conditioning set up to below freezing and I couldn't get those photos picked up and out of there quickly enough. I was in such a hurry I didn't even look at them, I just went, picked up a pet brush and headed for check out. When I got home, I got the couple of photos I had made for me out and then got mom's ready. I found a small box, placed the photos on the inside and taped it closed. Carrying the box down to mom I waited while she opened it, fighting with the tape. I didn't mean to make it difficult, but it was fun watching her fight shipping tape.
 The moment she opened the box and saw the envelope holing the photos, she was nearly stunned. "Is this what I think it is?" When she opened the envelope and saw the photos she was in near tears. she looked through them no less than three times. Her happiness at getting the photos finally, genuine.
 I learned something that I guess I had always known, and forgotten, moms love anything we give them. Mom's don't care if what you give is not mega expensive. Mom's love those things that just show love.
 When you can't give cars, houses or year round cruises, you can give your time, your abilities, your love. Sitting with mom, watching her happiness over a few photos, I thought maybe, I'm getting better at this gift giving thing. Maybe, I have learned, that there is no gift that is worth more than our time. There is no gift, that is more worthy, than just showing love. There is no gift more worthy, than finally getting photos that she's wanted for over a year, printed and gifted to her. Just taking the time to say, "I love you."
 I only spent $3.75 cent on the photos. I'm guessing, that she wouldn't take a million dollars for them, even though I would hope that she would, I can always have more printed..

No comments:

Post a Comment