Friday, May 24, 2024

There is Purpose

Its the time of year where I have windows open and ceiling fans circulating the air. I love this time of year. With the windows open I can hear the symphony around me. Even those which disturb my sleep. This morning I was awakened by an odd sound. Finally determining it to be a night bird I returned to my slumbers. Currently I am witnessing a slightly overcast sky and muted landscape. The deep greens of the woods behind the house comforting. From various locations birds are greeting each other and the day well into its beginning. The morning a time of quiet contemplation.
 Yesterday my dad shared with me his plans for an event he is putting on soon. An event that will happen only in his reality. This is the time of year when he can spend hours sitting on his front porch watching anything, everything or nothing pass by him. I listened to his initial plans, and what will need to be done before I returned to my home. I needed to run errands that didn't happen but I can do them today. My mother called me to let me know that dad had stopped one of the many delivery drivers that run up and down the road. Much too fast at times but that's another story. By the time mom got to them he was telling the driver all about his planned event. Mom's whispered words got a nod from the driver who told dad that one day when he had time he would stop and discuss the event with him. I was glad to hear that they both made it across the yard and back safely as their balance is not the best.
 Later I walked up to check on the vegetable plants that I have growing in planters. I got a good laugh out of my son when I called it my pot garden. For clarity its tomatoes, peppers and squash. It is up fairly close to the end of my yard due to that being the area that gets the most sunlight. While I was there I noticed my neighbor has a new puppy. I actually walked over and spoke with her for a while. She's lived there for seven years and this was our first conversation. There are reasons, that I now see were probably, mostly, incorrect. For both of us.
  We do not meet people by accident. Events do not happen randomly. I believe that everything that happens, everyone we meet, has purpose. Everyone who my dad has spoken with, no matter where he happens to be, have been very kind. He's in his mid nineties and has a rakish personality. Mom is more reserved, but she always has been, yet people treat her with kindness and compassion. Because that is what she gives to them. Most people we have crossed paths with in some fashion, have in their own way, shown that kindness. People have gone out of their way, to help me, help my parents.
 In the conversation with the neighbor, I may have found a new friend to hold conversation with, but offers a view and better knowledge of people passing on the dirt road that I cannot see due to the bushes blocking my view. This is one more who may help me take care of and protect my parents.

On another perspective, I believe that it is important that we show kindness and compassion to each other. That we care for those who we do not know but we see they have a need. It is when we offer hope, give encouragement, feed the hungry and thirsty, that we are showing love to our neighbor. When we care for those who cannot repay us, that is when we show and give love. When we recognize that everyone has purpose and matters, that is when we show love. Be it someone who is young or old, wealthy in material things or not, has a high social status or not. When we treat each other equally, that is showing and giving love.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment