Saturday, May 11, 2013

And a Good-Exhausting-Frustrating-Productive Time Was Had by All- (part 1)

 The morning started out early. Not as early as my alarm clock wanted it to, but that was just too bad for the clock. The alarm went off at 5am, I finally quit hitting the snooze and got up just before 6. I got dressed, took the puppy outside for business and then I began to prepare. Collecting up all of the items that I really should have collected the night before but didn't. As soon as the clock hit a decent hour I called down to my brother's place to see if he was going to still allow me to use his large canopy. He should have said no, but instead he told me to come after it. On the way down I passed my mother walking her dog. She had forgotten I had taken the day off and wondered what was going on if I were sick. Once she was reminded of the day she was fine. I was going to ask to borrow my dad's truck but before I could I found out that my brother already had. Time to ask favor number two of my brother.
 When I went to collect the canopy I asked if he would have time before he went to work to use dad's truck to haul the tables I had already asked Dad about borrowing and been given permission.  When he asked who was going to load them I told him that I would go and shanghai my son and we'd do it right quick. James was not really happy but he did it. Once the tables were loaded I took the truck key back to my brother and the building keys back to my mother. My brother told me that he would bring his canopy in the truck along with the tables.
 I returned to the house to continue getting ready when my brother arrived. We rode up to the site and with a little help got the canopy set up and staked down. We set the tables out where they would be needed, then returned home. We barely made it before the road work that had been going on began for the day.
 Once I was back home I began to load my SUV-its amazing how much those things can haul. Large plastic storage boxes, plastic chairs, my smaller canopy, cardboard boxes, blankets, food, water, coolers..and the list goes on. I'm glad that passenger vehicles aren't subject to weigh stations or I may have been overloaded. I took it all to the site and began to set everything out. I didn't set it up yet as I had to run an errand. This meant calling on my usual rescuers, mom and dad. They came up to site sit as I quickly left. Unfortunately I chose the route that took me right to the road work. That was a delay I didn't really want but luckily I wasn't delayed too terribly long. I made my trip and back to find that mom had left because the wind had picked up...a lot. Dad had seen me pull in so he had called mom and she was already on her way back. He walked up to meet her as I began to attempt to set up my site fighting the wind as I went. I had hoped for a slight breeze to make the items I had brought to hand from the canopy swing and sway, slightly. This wind was causing the decorative hearts to spin and swing crazily testing my reflexes past the limits of my patience.
 As I was attempting to hang the decorations I had my back to the much larger canopy behind me. I had hung tarps from the frame and the wind had them flapping crazily getting seriously on my nerves. Suddenly a different type noise had me turning to see the wind lifting and twisting the canopy behind me. Reaching for it quickly I kept if from flying away but watched as a section of it collapsed in my hands. One of the cross supports had snapped. My heart sank...I was in so much trouble. I borrowed a relatively new canopy only to see it trashed. I was now looking at a 12 x 12 scrap piece. My own canopy swayed and jerked crazily as the wind sought to destroy it as well. Someone passing told me that one other tent had to be rescued from the woods. It didn't help.
 I finally managed to get everything in place then I went to make a poster of the items and their cost. The wind had stolen one of my poster boards..it was returned a few moments later by someone a couple of sites away. I made the list but the wind would not allow me to fasten it to the front of the table, so I taped it down to a section of the table surface.
 While I had been in the process of setting up one of the committee members had passed by telling me that the Ford Test Drive program was ready. (A local Ford dealership brought 6 cars for test drives. For everyone who took a drive Ford donated $20 to Relay) I had to wait for someone to man the fort. My  niece who had asked about getting some volunteer hours in showed up not long after I finished setting up. I showed her everything, showed her the cost list and then me and her mom left to go test drive cars. Well, I didn't drive I rode- the car I was in was nice, but I didn't like the limited room. Guess that SUV has spoiled me. Once Donna got back from her drive we went in to the Survivor Dinner. The food prepared by the Methodist men was delicious, the company was great and the program entertaining. Then it was time.. it was time to head back to the track and get ready for the survivor lap.
  I checked on my niece, Angel was doing fine. I made my way over to where the other survivors waited in time to fall into the group already headed around the track. Led by a drum core from East Gaston High School. Listening to applause as you walk past has always been an odd feeling..but I understand it better now. We've fought- some more than once- and won. We've fought- and been forever changed. We're stronger and yes- so much more appreciative of even the small things.
 The Cub Scouts carrying a large banner led the lap for the caregivers. They were incredible in how well they did. Once the Caregiver's lap was finished the 5K run commenced. I watched as the runners passed the track and then following the edge of the woods hit the trails that was their route.
 The East Gaston Belmont Relay was really under way. We had fought long and hard to get here- and now- let the fun begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment