Monday, October 8, 2012

Join the battle to fight cancer


This is a column that I authored that ran in Sunday's (Oct.7th) Gaston Gazette. Join the battle to fight cancer--


By Rebecca Revels

Published: Saturday, October 6, 2012 at 21:11 PM.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2008. In February I underwent a lumpectomy followed by radiation treatments. While my doctor answered my questions, I was still to some degree walking blind, trying to make my way through a maze of treatments along with the physical and emotional changes.
Right about the time I was finishing my radiation treatments I was invited to participate in the East Gaston Relay for Life. When I became involved that first year it was almost time for the actual event. I did not get to see what all was involved in preparing for that night. Few believed that I would last that entire night being so soon after my treatments – but being the stubborn one that I am, I made it from Survivor Lap to that last lap at 7 a.m.
I have been fully dedicated and involved with the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life ever since. I have been blessed to work with some amazing people – some survivors, some caregivers and some who are people with big hearts and determined spirits helping in the fight to find a cure. While that cure is being sought, they also work to raise awareness and funds for programs to help those warriors who are battling and those who are taking care of the warriors.
It is time once again for the new Relay for Life fundraising season and planning for the event to begin.
The East Gaston Relay for Life will have their Kick-Off Celebration at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday Oct. 9 at First Baptist Church in Stanley. Anyone interested is more than welcome to attend. 2012-2013 will be the 10th year for the East Gaston Relay for Life. It began back in 2003 and brought in more than $43,000. Over the course of time there have been changes. Teams have come and gone, a recession has caused fundraising to be more difficult, and people have so many more things taking up their time. Cancer however, has not changed – it is indiscriminatory, it still shows no prejudice, no concerns, no caring of who you are and what you have planned.
Two years ago the event moved from the East Gaston High School football field to the First Methodist Church’s walking track, known as Common Ground on Hickory Grove Road. On May 10, 2013, the campsites will be set up, along with the stage. Luminaries will line the track in honor and memory of those who have fought the battle and their caregivers. Along the way to this day there will be meetings and fundraising events. There will be moments of learning and there will be moments of laughter and tears. On May 10, there will be much of the same all for the same purpose in mind – to raise money for the American Cancer Society to help fund research for a cure and to help fund the programs needed to help those in the midst of the fight .
There are many different Relay for Life events in the area. The East Gaston Relay is only one of the many. All readily invite any who are interested in joining. Good dedicated people ready and willing to do everything they are able to help in this purpose – to find an end to cancer.
My cancer is gone, but I still fight and will continue to fight for those who are in some stage of the battle – whether they have just been diagnosed, are in the process or are finishing treatments, or have been cancer free for years. I fight along with the caregivers who have watched their loved ones and friends battle. I fight in the memory of those whose battle is over.
We have all in some way been touched by cancer – find an event, whether it is with East Gaston, Gastonia, Lincolnton or any point in between. Join with us – help find a way to put an end to cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment