Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Nutrition and news






So where does one begin when they want to improve their diet? What better place to start than the first meal of the day? What we have for breakfast--and we definitely should eat breakfast--is the day starter for better health.

I love eggs, always have, always will. There is a problem though with eggs and that is the discussion on whether they are good for you- or bad. When my cholesterol levels kept going up I knew that one of the things I was going to have to give up were my daily eggs. Two large eggs six days a week was too much by far, especially when the diet in the lifestyle change only allows two a week. I decided to simply give them all up, it was easier that way. So what does one eat in place of eggs and bacon or sausage, or ham? Yes, I did say in place of bacon, sausage and ham as those are processed meats with high fat, sodium and nitrates.
 http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/can-bacon-be-part-of-a-healthy-diet

There are of course egg substitutes or eating egg whites for those who can't completely walk away from eggs. Another option is high fiber, whole grain cereal with low fat or even non-dairy milk substitute such as the one made from almonds. I've tried one of these, it has a very smooth taste but I should have gotten the unsweetened as the one I purchased is almost too sweet tasting. What I have chosen to do is prepare old fashioned oatmeal with the least amount of salt possible and add ground flax seed, cinnamon and then fruit such as raspberries and blueberries. Any fresh fruit would work. I have come to find that this breakfast stays with me until my first break at work and I'm not trying to find ways to get to the snack machine or having to bring extra snacks to get me through.

When it comes to my coffee I've managed to wean myself from that teaspoon of sugar and almost all the nondairy cream. I drink one or two cups before I leave the house and then the time spent at work is water but for the vegetable juice drink that I have first break. You've heard it, you know it.. we need water, lots of water. It keeps the body hydrated and helps to flush out the toxins and waste in our body.

 Breakfast gets us going. It awakens your dozing metabolism and gets it moving. You are better prepared to handle the day and less likely to seek out high calorie low benefit snacks. 

What, you may be asking, does all of this have to do with my usual, fight against cancer? Our over all health can and does go a long way in the helping prevent cancer. If we eat good, wholesome foods our body is healthier, more able to do the tasks that await us each day and we are happier to boot. Eating a variety of good foods has benefits. The oatmeal (not the instant as that has added stuff you don't want) : http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-eating-oatmeal-morning-4112.html

Benefit of blueberries: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20306607_1,00.html
Benefit of raspberries: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/raspberry.html

Our body needs many nutrients to function as it should. We can get some of them from supplements, but its much more enjoyable to get them through the food choices that we make. It is also much more satisfying when we know we are keeping ourselves healthier and  working to prevent cancer from making an appearance.


Now.. Relay for Life news. Much is going on with our Relay. First up is a fundraiser at Buffalo Wild Wings.. January 20th all day long, Buffalo Wild wings will donate 10% of all pretaxed food sales, (less alcohol and promotional discounts) to our Relay for Life event.

January 31st is the Barbecue at the First Baptist Church in Stanley. 11:00am to
6:00 pm $7.00 a plate, dine in or carry out. There will be delivery available for ten plates or more within a ten mile radias.

February 17th Niko's Grill will donate 15% of profit to Relay.

We are also taking orders for luminaria bags.. in honor of or in memory of or if you want to honor a caregiver..$10 ea. Get with me and I can fix you up on that.
If you want to be a corporate sponsor, or know someone who would.. I can set you up with that as well.

We are still collecting canned goods for the luminary bags. At the end of the Relay for Life event the team that has stayed all night and participated in the events will go into a drawing, the winner gets all of the cans collected to donate to the charity/ pantry/ food bank of their choice..

If you would like to help out, join my team, I'll put you to work. You can donate time, talent, goods or yes, money..sign up, if you're a survivor you get a survivor shirt and invited to dinner. If you are a participant and raise $100 you get a participant shirt..and my heartfelt thanks.

There's more to come.. join us to find out what's next..

its up to us to finish this. Its up to us to be strong for those who can't. Its up to us to stop this so that no one else will have to deal with cancer, its effects, the fight, the loss of loved ones..we can do this...together.



No comments:

Post a Comment