Sunday, July 14, 2013

Reminder of Promises, the Light in the Darkness





                      I say a lot online. Maybe I share too much at times. But as much as I have said about my personal battle with cancer and how I know it could have been much worse. How I know that God was with me every step of the way and that there was a purpose for the battle, there are things that I tend to keep quiet. Some things I hint about or only mention parts of, for reasons of my own. Then there is the one thing that I don't mention at all. Oh some of my posts may have given it away to some that are aware of the signs and understand recognizing them for what they are. Yet not saying anything, waiting for me to bring it up first. Others just take the posts at face value and move on. Which is fine.  
                   I do not like feeling weak. This makes me feel weak.
                   In 2008 I was diagnosed with and underwent treatments for breast cancer. It was a physical enemy with physical and medical ways to fight it. I knew too that I was not battling it alone. As I said, God was with me, as was my family and friends. I have a mammogram every year and every year they come back clean and clear. What I have is the memory and knowledge of what I went through and how blessed I am to be able to sit here and write about it or to talk about it with others.

                 This other though...this other makes me a bit crazy. Not my usual crazy where I crack jokes that a lot of people don't understand due to my weird sense of humor. (Thanks Dad- love you) Due to that, my immaturity and my social ineptness, I was not one of the most popular kids in school. Living out here in the sticks away from everyone didn't help much. It got lonely..but you deal with it. I have made some mistakes in my life that I'm not proud of, but I know I'm forgiven for. Even though I know that I'm forgiven, I don't mingle with a lot of people because of the fear that a comment may be made, a judgement or even a sideways glance letting me know that they remember (yes, I have gotten one or two of those). So instead of joining I go home..and wish and sink. I know my limitations...even if they are only the ones made up in my head because of my fears..and I sink.
         Yeah, sink. I've been battling depression. I don't go sit in a dark room and cry. I have held a pity party or two and those are no fun. People don't have time or desire to join in on something like that and I don't blame them. I don't want to do it either. But I have. I sit and feel like a failure. I sit and feel like a loser. I sit and wonder why no one wants to sit with me during breaks at work or call me asking if I want to go do something. I miss my husband who is gone almost all the time but I can't tell him because he gets angry-- not at me-- but at the fact that this is the only job that he could find that would accept him without that High School diploma. And it keeps him away all the time. He misses being here and I know that. Neither of us are making a lot of money and are still dealing with bills that were formed when I was in my medical battle and when he was out of work at the same time.  There are things that I want to do, but feeling the loner, failure, I don't. Which then makes me feel worse.
           Today, maybe in part because of all the rain I was really feeling bad. I felt at loose ends, drifting with no purpose. The darkness was really bad. So I posted a comment online, grabbed my cameras and hit the woods. Many of you know, I grew up on this road, in this very house. I know these woods, these woods have been my hiding place and my healing place many times. During the cancer battle I walked nearly every day, every day  there was something different for me to see and photograph. Simple beauty. Peaceful beauty. I felt His presence with me as I walked and healed. At work during that time it was all I could do to put one foot in front of the other, until I got to my woods. Its different there. Today, when I was really fighting and losing I knew where I had to go. I was blessed with just enough time.

         I went down the trail that in some of my past writings I called Daredevil Hill because of how we road anything with wheels down seeing who could go the fasted and come the closest without going into the creek at the bottom. I walked around the pond that dad had built, finding the fist bit of solace there. I love that place, I love the sound and look of the water and the dragonfly that dance around down there. I stood on the bridge for a while just being. I then left and went around to my brother's deer field. Instead of simply crossing it as I usually do I went up the trail going in the opposite direction that I usually do then back down, across and up the other side. I thought about following the creek but it was too dark in the woods to get any good photographs so I climbed the hill and followed the path I normally do. The one thing that annoyed me, I'm wondering if God told all of those spiders to spin their webs at the height just perfect for me to run into face first.
            when I reached the large power lines that cross the dirt road and onward I glanced around. Off in the distance I could see storm clouds, again. I shook my head and looked around at the wildflowers growing nearby. One of them had an interesting looking insect lurking there so I took a couple of photos and moved away. Turning back I looked once more at the storm clouds gathering. There, where there was none just moments before, was a rainbow. So simple, so soft, so beautiful, so much the reminder. He is with us, He makes promises that He keeps. We are not ever alone, even and especially when we feel the loner, loser, failure. I lifted my camera and fired off several shots and then moved forward shooting as I went. I then tried to quickly move around to the other side of the power line tower. Ripping my arm repeatedly by the briars I was fighting my way through I got to a point where I tried to get a few more shots. By then the rainbow was fading, but I had seen it. I had seen and been reminded of the Promise.

  I made my way up to the Dirt Road and started back toward the house. One of the people that live on the road, who I have known forever, who I respect and think the world of, allows me to wander about his yard taking photographs. He has the enormous butterfly bush. When I got to his house I saw there was a butterfly on the small bush that grows at the end of his driveway. When I moved around to the side of the house I was again over joyed. The big bush was covered in butterfly. I can only hope for the time when mine will be big enough to attract them as this one does. I started taking pictures and smiling the entire time.

       As in my battle with cancer, I was reminded today through the gifts given to me during my walk, I know I am not alone. Even when I still sit by myself during breaks at work, when no one calls asking if I want to hang out, go somewhere, play a hand of cards (do people still do that?) I'm going to be fine. I know the Great Physician, I know the Comforter, I know, the peace and the love of the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment