Sunday, August 4, 2013

Blessings of the Heart 101--parents





 Growing up, our Grandparents lived next door to us. Now, my parents live next door. As I had the blessing of growing up with the love and teaching of Grandparents, so is my son. Its amazing in a way how life flips things around.





   Growing up, our Grandparents lived next door to us. Now, my parents live next door. AS I had the blessing of growing up with the love and teaching of loving Grandparents, so is my son. It is amazing in a way how life flips things around.

As  a young girl I watched as my mother and grandmother would leave out every Saturday to go downtown shopping. Some trips they brought things back, often times they came back empty handed. They were never really gone all that long, a few hours here or there and then the car would pull back into the drive and the trip was over. When I got a little older I was invited to go with them some weekends. I learned then the mysteries that went on during those trips. It was a lot of walking and window shopping. Stores that are no longer around invited us in to look around. Some of the stores even had areas to eat. One had the very best, to die for cheese cake. I drank my first cup of coffee here. There was a clothing store that had the best and latest outfits that had me feeling current and trendy. On the corner was a record store that I had to visit, no if's and's or but's about it. Those visits filled over four record boxes. Memories.

  My dad worked out o town a lot, but when he was home, it was special. Dad cleared an area to build a place to play softball. That if you build it they will come is true. Dad taught us how to fish, took us on wondrous vacations, and how to multitask. I didn't know of anyone who could watch a ball game and golf and listen to a race on the radio and know every bit of what was going on.

 Mom tried to teach me how to sew- no hope there. She taught me to respect, to believe in hard work, to ignore and laugh off the insults of others. She taught love.

I was the usual teenager thinking that my parents did not understand me. I was the young adult that felt guilty over mistakes and hurt caused them. No matter the mistakes, they never stopped loving me, and they let me know through words and actions of that love. They helped me escape a bad situation, helped me to get home from half a country away and helped me to heal from the pain. Never asking, never bringing it up. Just glad that I was home.

Living next door I am able to see my parents often. They do not interfere with my life, but they have sure come to my rescue often. Many times we have helped each other, by watching homes and taking care of pets. Living next door, I can see my parents aging. I know that it is a blessing that they are still here. Family history what it is, my dad has lived longer than any other male member of the family. I am so very glad that my son has gotten to know him so well, to be here to help him and learn from him. I'm glad that he has his grandmother to teach him self respect and love.

Now, it is me taking mom shopping. We don't go downtown- the stores once that are long gone. We usually go to the same places, walk the same aisles and fully enjoy each other's company. We may or may not run into people we know, we may get the chance to make new friends. We've found good deals and we've gone home empty handed. But we've always come back fully appreciative of the gift of each other's time and company. I miss my grandparents, they left us much too soon. I'm grateful and understanding in just how much I am blessed in the gift of my family still being with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment