Sunday, February 23, 2014

Know your body and its reactions

   One thing I have discovered about this new healthy lifestyle, not all healthy things are right for you.
   The doctor told me he wanted me to start a new healthier lifestyle. with my cholesterol levels creeping up and my being a cancer survivor I felt I needed to follow that instruction. One of the instructions was  to cut out as much processed sugar as possible. For a self confessed junk food junkie I've done very well. Once I would plow through an entire bag of chocolate candy in a day's time. Once I loved my sodas and sweet tea, I haven't drank a soda in weeks. While my sugar levels have always checked out fine, why take the chance? Especially when sugar is hidden under many different names in most of our foods. But, the other day I accidentally went too far.
  For breakfast every morning I prepare a bowl of regular oatmeal, to that I add just a dash of salt, a heaping teaspoon full of flax seed, a couple spoonfuls of crushed walnut and a dash of cinnamon. After stirring that I add what ever fruit I'm in the mood for. This suits my sweet tooth and lasts up until my first break at work.
  The other day after breakfast I finished getting ready for work and headed out the door and to the plant. I was fine right up until we started working. Then I began to feel a bit light headed. I tried to ignore it and work it off but it didn't go away, it only got worse. It went from being light headed to feeling flushed, to feeling nauseous, sick to my stomach and a trembling beginning all over. I have no shame is saying I was beginning to worry. So much so that I came within one number calling the doctor. Then I thought I knew the problem. Not waiting on the time I usually go for a break I grabbed some cash and letting my manager know what was going on, I headed for the break room. Usually I don't carry any money, I was definitely glad I was this day.  After purchasing a large sugar coated pastry and coffee with cream and sugar I sat down and began to eat. I could feel the difference almost immediately. With in a couple of hours I was fully back to normal. My blood sugar had dropped drastically and to obviously a dangerous level.
  I had heard that cinnamon lowered blood sugar, now I know it really does. Thing is, cinnamon can't tell the difference between high levels and normal levels, all it knows is do what it does well- lower sugar levels. So for now, the cinnamon has been moved and won't be seeing my oatmeal bowl for a long long time if ever.
 The point to this is, one must know their body and its reactions to different things. Especially the reactions to chemical things such as supplements. If you feel different, if you feel bad, think of the last things you took or ate. Know, what you can handle and what you need to stay away from. Read the labels and know what is in everything. Know the medicines you have reactions to, know what makes you sick, what makes you hyper, what makes you mean..now not everyone will have the same reactions, some may not have any at all. But you have to know for your own safety and peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment