Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bella: Let the Training Begin








This is Bella. She is our newest family member, a 12 week old German Shepherd mix. She joined our family after we lost a big baby of a Border Collie mix by the name of Rambo. My husband asked if I wanted a big or small dog. I chose big for a couple of reasons. One I prefer big dogs and two I wanted a dog that I could take on my hikes and not worry about being bothered by anyone. I found Bella online and had her home within a couple of hours. Then it was.. let the training begin.


The first, most important lesson was housebreaking.

Only a portion of my house is carpeted, but that wasn't the important thing. Preventing odor was a major and its simply better for all involved if she knows that the great outdoors is her potty.

Since she is still too young to be spending great amounts of time outdoors alone- and she will not be put on a chain if I have any say and I do-she has to be confined when no one is home. So the bathroom, is her room. There is a soft light, a radio playing, her bed, food and water and toys. It isn't the same as having family around and being allowed to run the house, but it keeps her safe and the cats free of puppy harassment. I purchased some of those puppy training pads and she actually uses them. That is a plus right there.

She isn't really fond of the room confinement, but she has adjusted and accepts that is how it works for now. Come night time she goes into the room, climbs into her bed and curls up for sleep. When I can trust her not to have an accident and not to bother the cats I'll let her sleep at the foot of my bed. Until then, its the bathroom.

We've been working over time the last few weeks so I have to get up at 4 in the morning. She has gotten accustomed to this and moments before my alarm clock goes off my puppy alarm starts. I get up, pull on a house coat and release her from the bathroom and get her straight to the door. I step out onto the porch and watch as she goes out into the yard. Oh yes, my front yard is completely fenced in so she's relatively safe. After a short time we both go back into the house, me to prepare for work, her to find and chase the cats.

Before I leave for work I will take her out one more time. Our outside dog has finally adjusted to her presence and will actually play with her instead of snapping. That helps in getting her more used to being outside and not terrified of every little sound. As she has grown though those puppy fears have dissipated and she is showing signs of being fairly fearless. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. We'll see I guess.

As she grows she is getting better about waiting until she can get outside. She's not there yet..but she understands what I want from her and she's trying. And that is all I ask for.

We are going a couple times a week for long walks. Getting her to walk on a leash.. not that is another ongoing adventure..one I'll save for the next blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment