Friday, June 14, 2013

surviving the storm and black out the old fashioned way



I got to put a new camera lens to work yesterday--I knew when I got off from work that bad weather was headed our way so I hurried home and got online to try and check my husband's pay. He needs to know as soon as possible what it shows so that he can call work and let them know about anything incorrect or missing. Internet was on and off as the storm intensified but I managed to get just what my husband needed before it gave up.  By then the rain was coming down so hard you could not see through it. I was so glad to be home and that my son, James was home.
 As the rain pounded down I went out onto the front porch to watch it fall and to keep an eye on the drain to make sure that nothing blocked it preventing the water from flowing freely. I went out, picked up the shovel and pushed a few sticks out of the way.  Nano-seconds later James called out to me that the power had gone out. There was however a slight bit of sunshine in this.  James purchased an inverter probably a little over a year ago and he had already brought the battery inside so he calmly hooked everything up and he had tv to watch. I sat out on the porch and watched it rain. When it finally quit I grabbed the camera and headed up the dirt road. I met my sister-in-law coming in who was telling me that a tree was down at the top of the dirt road and that there was a tree down with power lines over an suv down the road. I walked on up the Dirt  Road and took a few shots of the tree that had been shredded and then headed back toward the house. I met a neighbor who I had grown up with, who was coming up the road to see what she could find out. We talked for a few moments and then I watched as James pulled my suv around and down across the yard. Confused as to what he was doing I said my good-byes and headed for the house. Turns out that my suv had become his back up power. I reminded him that there was only so much gas in that thing so be careful.
  After my conversation with my neighbor  I was curious to the amount of damage done down the dirt road. I picked up my cameras and headed on down the drive. I found there were some branches down but nothing major. I got to where the big power lines cross the dirt road and I could see blue lights up on the main road. Yeah, you guessed it- boredom, no power, new lens and over powering curiosity got me. I took a few photos from the dirt road and then began walking. I ended up walking the just over half mile through near waist high--and very wet- weeds to the main road, stopping ever so often to snap off a shot. I finally ended up on the main road that was barricaded by patrol cars and spoke with the county police. Nice people.. I asked about walking past where the clean up was going on but was told that there was a live power line down across the road. You could see where the tree had taken the lines down. Someone at some point-- I missed this--had thought they could drive their suv across and over the downed tree. They not only got stuck they became trapped in their vehicle when the power line ended up draped across their vehicle. I made a Duke's of Hazard reference which the young officer either didn't get or didn't hear, either way he didn't comment of give me that confused expression that the young often give their elders when they don't catch something. I ended up walking back the way I had came, back through the high weeds and swampy areas. This time was easier as I knew pretty much where I could walk.  I was however very thoroughly soaked. When I made it back to the dirt road I stopped and told several people that we would be in the dark for a while if not all night. I walked up the dirt road but took a left to go back up to the main road to hike down from the other direction and see what I could see. I met some people that I knew and then made some new friends as well. I ended up walking with a Relay for Life friend down to a safe distance from the downed lines and watching for a few moments as they worked. I also spoke with her dad, there was a big tree that had partially fallen, that if it goes the rest of the way down he is not getting out of his driveway. As we started back we saw a truck that had passed us stop and speak with the county officer that was keeping vehicles from driving around the barricades. when we reached the officer he told us that the power guy had told him that it would be at least two and a half hours as the tree clearing people had just arrived. Pam offered to bring him something to eat but he said that the nearby town's city police were supposed to be bringing them out something.
 I went home soaked through, somewhat tired from all that hiking and frustrated that I couldn't upload my photos to see what I got.. I'll see soon though. (photos actually posted now)
 Our power came back on some time around midnight. Don't try to set your clock when you're awakened in the middle of the night after a power outage.. I set it wrong..thankfully I have a battery back up as well that was right ;) Of course our pup Bella is also a very good alarm clock as she starts wanting out right at four in the morning every morning. At work everyone had storm stories. Some people had power and then  some didn't. A few were getting messages that it may be as long as two days before their power is back on.

I know, that when you look at storms and tornadoes that others have gone through, ours was not much. While we have trees down and power out yet in places, it was nothing compared to OK or the mid west regions. While the winds and rain was terrible, none of my trees fell, so I thank you Lord for that. Tornadoes wiped out entire cities. Our storms inconvenienced us. But we got out, we visited, we met old friends and made new. More importantly- we survived, and we were once again reminded that we are strong and can still survive the old fashioned way.



No comments:

Post a Comment