Thursday, July 6, 2017

Me and Murray the little power mower who could, even when it appeared impossible






                                  Over the course of the last few days I have learned a lot, about myself and about faith. I also learned just how tough me, and an aging power push mower can be.
                                   Due to a variety of reasons my yard had been neglected. We don't live in a housing development governed by any housing authorities, we live in a rural area, surrounded for the most part by woods. With the house off the main road, part way down a one lane, narrow, dirt road, our yard is ours to do or not do with as we please. That isn't a good excuse for the condition it was in, but that was one reason I got away with it. Then I began to grow tired of it. Working on it was difficult with me often working ten hour shifts. When my husband was home, he always had something he wanted or needed to do first, which put yard work last on the list. Then my husband passed away. I'm still working on all the things that need to be done because of his death, but then, the Independence Day Holiday came around. Where I work shuts down the entire week. Counting the days, I discovered I had ten days to fill. I had ten days to keep myself busy so that I wouldn't give in to the sadness and loneliness that lurks just below the surface. I decided that this week, would be the ideal time to do all of that work, that had been neglected. I wasn't going anywhere, so why not?
                               I made a list of everything that needed to be done. Main points with multiple subpoints beside of them. I didn't know if I would get it all done, but I was going to give it my best shot. The job on the list that covered the largest area, was mowing. I had deliberately not mowed one area because it runs along the dirt road and every time I mow that, someone always thinks the road has widened and drives in my yard. Still, it was looking snaky and the shoulder high wildflowers were choking out my roses. Mowing also meant picking up a lot of sticks and rocks. It took a while, it took several rest breaks, but I got the mowing done all around the front yard and down at the garden. That mower slicing through those high weeds as well as any bush hog.
                               There was one area of my yard that actually looked like Tarzan and his animal friends ought to come barreling out of there. I did not believe that mower could manage. After I got the shrubbery that I knew it could not cut I gave it a go. Happily, the mower cut right on. I now have most of my yard back. There is one more section that I believe the mower can get, but I need to wait for it to dry out.
                              Over the course of the last few days, I have pushed that mower harder than it was probably meant to be. I have pushed myself beyond what I thought I was possible of doing. Both of us, have managed to accomplish what we set out to do. We have proven our strength and capabilities. I'm not only getting my yard back, my landscaping is not only looking better, I myself am feeling better, more accomplished, more capable to face what ever may come. This would not have been possible, without the knowledge that I can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me.



No comments:

Post a Comment