Sunday, June 19, 2011

project prevent cancer-code 1-- diet


Preventing cancer. What can we, as ordinary people do? Just as there are many different types of cancer, there are many different things that we must do. First and foremost is work hard to educate ourselves. There are many different avenues of getting the information we need to arm ourselves. Any of the agencies that work toward research, assistance and cures should be able to offer information. Libraries, doctors and of course the internet.

Once you have your information it will be obvious that- with all probability- there are going to have to be some life style changes. After being diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2008 I have worked diligently to prevent a reoccurrence by making some of those life style changes myself. One of which is diet.

I am a recovering junk food junky. I do not say that lightly. There was a time when I could put away large bags of candy in a day. I once consumed an entire pan of home made fudge on my own--in one day. My diet consisted of donuts, pastries, chocolate and more chocolate. Processed sugar was my best friend. With coffee running a close second. When I was undergoing the radiation treatments I discovered that my body could not tolerate the processed sugar or the caffeine. It was then that my diet began to undergo its transformation. One that continues today.

I learned to combat my sweet tooth's cravings with fruit. A slice of watermelon calmed in quickly. My daily meals soon became much more healthy, filled with fruits and vegetables. It can be more costly to eat healthy, but if you can grow your own or have access to farmer's markets that helps cut down on the cost tremendously. Over the course of time I have learned that by adding these to my diet will boost my immune system. Some fruits and vegetables can also help fight and destroy cancer cells. Many studies have been done and come up with the following standings. While there are the concerns that it hasn't been fully proven that diet prevents cancer, changing one's diet does definitely make a difference.

Eat a diet consisting of a bigger variety of foods in moderation.

Some of the foods that will help, broccoli, collards, dark green leafy vegetables that contain cancer-fighting phytochemicals and high levels of glucosinolate according to studies can inhibit the buildup of carcinogens that damage DNA, or by altering cell-signaling pathways.

Avocados, rich in glutathione a substance that attacks free radicals, supplies potassium, and is a strong source of beta-carotene. Carrots and pumpkin also contain beta-carotene. Beans, chili peppers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, teas,,,

The list continues, each item with their own particular cancer fighting properties. Rather than list them all, it is easier to suggest a diet that is varied, high in fiber with five or more servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Drink plenty of water to help keep the body hydrated and to flush out wastes.

Vitamin supplements can also help in getting the needed nutrients into your system.

Avoid or at least limit meats high in fat, hydrogenated oils, foods high in fats, deep fried foods. Limit your alcohol intake. Remember to eat in moderation. Eating several meals a day is better and keeps the body's metabolism working more efficiently.

So that apple a day thing--could actually be true..

No comments:

Post a Comment