Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Can you stand a cuteness overload?




I think it is time to step back away from everything causing stress and enjoy a cuteness overload. I really hope to hear a nice loud chorus of "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" coming from the viewers of the following photos.

When I first located the kittens, I was worried about their mom moving them. I've had that happen before, once for the good, and once not. The good time, mamma cat brought her kittens around to the back of the house and introduced them to us. Those kittens (except for one, who we kept and is now curled up beside me) were all taken by a rescue group and adopted out. The not, mom took her babies and disappeared. I haven't seen any sign of mom or kittens since. Now, here we are again with kittens in the building. The one thing that is similar to the good outcome of before is that I am feeding this mamma cat as I was the first one. (I was feeding the one that disappeared, but she wouldn't allow me to get near her, ever.) I'm hoping that because of feeding her and showing her lots of love, her babies will remain accessible and safe in the building.

When I got home from work today I knew I was going to the building and visit with the babies. I was also going to find a way to make them something better to sleep on. In the closet was an old flannel sheet, adorned with a snowflake pattern, I pulled that out and headed for the building. In the building after a brief search I found a wooden box like contraption that was shallow enough, yet sturdy enough to hold up to five kittens. I carried it over to where the kittens were snuggled in a soft sided personal size cooler and carefully so as not to frighten them any more than I already was, I put everything in place.

Then, I put my plan into action. I slowly reached for the first kitten, continually speaking softly and gently. As it hissed and postured angrily I carefully picked it up and held it close, gently caressing its head and back. After a few moments it grew still and allowed the attention. As I placed it softly in the new makeshift bed, it snuggled in comfortably.

Then mom showed up. She jumped up on a storage box that was behind me and watched as I ran my fingers across the top of the head of her baby. Once she knew I wasn't going to harm her little ones she stretched out and pretty much went to sleep. 

Of course in the middle of all this my husband had to call, and talk for what seemed like forever. All the while the kittens didn't seem to know whether to be angry, confused, or content in the situation. When my husband ran out of anything to say we ended the conversation and I went back to the kittens.




One by one I picked them up, very careful not to startle or injure them. They each had their own special personalities. Each one was afraid at first but seemed to settle in and accept the attention. Even the one who had the most fear, or the biggest, big bad brave attitude, allowed my handling her for a while.
As each was placed in the new bed, they snuggled in with the others. They seemed content and happy to have a little more room than was available in the cooler as there was only room for four of them, one was left out in the cold. Now they were all together, snuggled up and after the major photo-snuggle session they were happy to see me leaving.
But I'll be back....


















2 comments:

  1. They also adoptable and are going to need homes when they are old enough.. ;) Yes, I know you're too far away...

    ReplyDelete