Thursday, September 1, 2016

Count Down to 60----- words



                                              [I know, its upside down]
All day long at work I kept having these amazing ideas for things to write about. I guess I left them at work because right now I can not remember a single one. Where are the words when I need them?
Words are amazingly powerful.
They convey ideas. One person says, "We can take the rimwidget and add it to the whambuckle with a wazzle tuck as a power provider. Push the wingdingle button and stand back and watch it go to work." The focus group around him breaks out in simultaneous speech, each with their own thoughts and ideas on how to make this invention work better.
They convey thoughts. I think that a dish of mint chocolate ice cream would be wonderful right now. I think that if we took a step back into teaching our children what respect and hard work means then life would be better. I think that a wingdingle button is the wrong way to make that wazzle tuck work.
They convey emotions, "I'm so angry I could chew ten penny nails in two and spit tacks." "My [dog] Bella is always on guard, so I trust her to keep us safe." "You are the one I wish to spend my life with, I love you more than mere words can express."
They inform us of the news of the world. Telling of earthquakes, of floods, of war, the acts of terrorist and the acts of those who seek to make life better. They keep us up to date of the weather, of the state of the country, of sports and the silliness or the responsible acts of those involved.
Words strung together create songs, poetry, novels, plays to entertain and educate.
Words warn us, [when we are paying attention] if you don't lose weight, if you don't get exercise, if you don't put that phone down and pay attention, if you leave something cooking on the stove......
Words help us to communicate with each other, "good morning beautiful, you do look wonderful this morning. Just holding you will make my day so much better, you my first cup of coffee of the day" or, "Good morning, how are you?" "Excuse me, but may I help you carry some of those bags?" "Pardon me, but will you purchase one of these packs of cookies or chips so that I can earn money to go bowling with my group?"
Words can be misused. By lying, by gossip, by arguing, by using the wrong form of words that have more than one.
Amazing things words, they are good, they are bad, they are colorful. They can explain or confuse. But using words, is really a lot better than trying to pantomime everything and hoping that others understand. Hopefully when I get to work tomorrow, I'll see where I left all of those wonderful ideas and write them down on a scrap piece of paper, stick it in my pocket and bring them home to share..but for now, the word is
finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment