Thursday, September 8, 2016

Count Down to 60....Angered and Ashamed....over the lack of water.




 Moments ago I watched a video on social media that left me angry and ashamed. Angry and ashamed to the point of wanting to jump up and head out to do something. Instead I sit here and wonder, how, in this day and time, could this even be true.
I, am a big time, heavy, got to have it, coffee addict. One of the first things I do in the morning is flip up the faucet handle for the water to prepare my coffee. I freely rinse cups and dishes. I rinse out the shaker mug I use for a protein shake. When I want a shower, I turn on the faucets and wait until the water temperature is not too cold or hot but is just right. On those stress filled days, or days of over exertion I fill the tub with good hot water and bubbles. Have to make use of the restroom? Flushing is not a problem. I do several loads of laundry a week. I simply open the washer, turn to the preferred setting and let the washing machine do its thing. Its the same with the dishes. I water my flowers or vegetable gardens. I play water games with the dogs getting them nice and soaked to cool off in the summer heat, then make sure their water bucket has fresh, clean, cool water.
The only time we don't have water is when the power is off for what ever reason- someone hit a power pole, a tree fell, a transformer exploded- or if there is a problem with the well. Other than that, we have water.
 Having water readily at hand, is taken for granted. It is there, it is almost always there.
We wash our cars, trucks, recreational vehicles, decks and homes. We fill birdbaths, we fill swimming pools of all manner of sizes. We have sprinkler systems and water games for the family. We can even purchase those misting systems to attach to the porch, deck or gazebo or where ever we desire so that we can cool off.
All we have to do, is turn on the faucet, turn a knob, turn what ever so that the water flows. It is there. We expect it. We have it. We use it without thinking. We waste it, without considering those who do not have it.
Right................here..............in...............this............country.

How, in this day and age, how, can there be people without water?
How, in this day and age, can there be people who depend on water trucks to bring them their monthly supply?
How, in this day and age, can we sit idly by and not care?

Because it isn't us? Because it doesn't concern us? Because it isn't next door to us? How many excuses can we produce so that we can avoid doing anything?

https://www.facebook.com/IndigenousAmericans/videos/332519830426137/?pnref=story

I watched the video and it broke my heart. Native American people, the Indigenous people, proud people, doing without one of the necessities of life. One of the things we take for granted and they have to be so very careful of the small amount they have. They do not have wells on their property. They do not have water lines bringing all or any water into their homes. They must ration, use multiple times, make it last as long as possible because it will be a while before the water truck returns. They use paper plates and disposable utensils and cups so that they don't have to be washed. they share water when washing their hair. I turn water on and let it run.
How, can this be in this day and time?
Where are those that could do something? Where are those who should do something? How many excuses are they coming up with? How many times has the so called buck been passed to someone else? How many have said that it isn't up to us, they have to handle it, and 'they' have turned right around and handed the problem right back? All the while, nothing is being done. Nothing is being done, nothing is being solved. Nothing is being corrected. All the while, in this day and age, there are so many people, going without, water.
Knowing this, breaks my heart, it angers me, and it saddens me. I am ashamed, that this is happening, in a country that is supposed to be so great, and all the while people are doing without.
Water, is one of those things that we can not do without. We have to have water to survive. Our body can go without food longer than it can water. While all of those people in power, as so busy sending all of those dollars to foreign countries, they need to look in our own backyard and take care of those who are suffering. An organization called Dig Deep is in process of trying to dig a well, a deep well, to help in providing more water for those without. The cost is over 500 thousand dollars and all funded by private donation. Five hundred thousand dollars is nothing compared to what our government has sent to others, why can we not do something here? Because in this day and age, this should not be happening.
I am angered and I am ashamed, that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment