Saturday, March 26, 2011

in the beginning was denial, then acceptance, then came the cards- my cancer story

I decided early on that I would share my story. At the time I was writing a semi-regular column in the local paper. It was fun, it was a bit silly and it got me attention. This however was serious. I wasn't sure they were going to run them, but they did..all but one. No one that I know of really noticed the one that never appeared- the column about my actual surgery..it didn't matter. They noticed the rest. My surgeon even told me that people had mentioned them to her. She told me that the columns scared some people, which was never my intent..and I said that in the next column. My intent was to let anyone reading know that survival was possible. There was no real need to fear, because everything had advanced so much that treatments were much easier now.

I received an email from the editor of the paper. People were calling and wanted to send me cards. I got a post office box and that was the address given. The cards then began to come. Letters came as well. Letters telling me about a cousin or grandparent or spouse that had fought or had just been diagnosed. Letters that broke my heart, or made me smile.

I still have them all.

I had purchased a bulletin board to post the lists and papers and what ever other information I had for my husband's job search. One day he had gotten a call from a company in Indiana. He caught a bus and rode for hours before arriving, he was taken to a hotel and told orientation would begin the next morning. Even after they found out about the former employer they decided to give him a chance. He still works for this company. (I know where all the bad weather is going to be- exactly where ever they send him.)

I now used this bulletin board to post the cards and letters I received. They still hang there now.

I learned that cancer brings people together. Even when the diagnosed feels so alone, the people around them draw in and reach out to help. Always ready when needed. I had a lot of people praying for me, sending me cards- some very beautiful handmade cards that I cherish. Still today after all this time has passed people still drop me a note from time to time asking- or if they see me on the street they stop and ask how I am.

People remember. They want to help as they can. While some may not know how to act, it brings out the goodness in most.

One of the reasons I believe for my cancer was so I could write the columns, I could share my experiences. I could give hope, encouragement and a small measure of comfort. When I finally got the word that I would not have to undergo chemotherapy treatments everyone celebrated with me. Cancer is a nightmare, it changes you forever. It shows you just how strong you can be, how strong you really are. You learn to appreciate the simple things, the small things. You are changed, and never look at things the same way. I learned, when you share your battles and storms- it gives others hope, courage and belief that they too can fight and win. Sharing your battles does not make you weak, it makes you stronger.

so bring on that next chapter.. I'm ready.

















































Blessed, a collection of God given inspirational poetry by Rebecca Stepp Revels is available now @

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=2137587

and now also at

Amazon, Books-a-Million and Barnes and Noble .com





The Legend of Dragon's Doom:a Young Warrior's vow, by RS Revels is available @

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/the-legend-of-dragons-doom-a-young-warriors-vow/7505820

and other online sites





also @ Bookin' It, your mobile bookstore @ www.bookin-it.com



Available now @ http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/blessed-in-his-promises/12670945:

Blessed in His Promises



All books available @ Poor Richard's Book Shoppe @ www.PRBookShoppe.com



http://main.acsevents.org/goto/rebeccasrevels

No comments:

Post a Comment