Monday, March 28, 2011

my cancer story- my first Relay for Life






Right around the time I was finishing my radiation treatments I participated in my very first Relay for Life. I had attended a few meetings and knew where and when it was but was still pretty much uneducated in all that Relay is.



At my first Relay the Survivor Dinner was the hour before the Relay started. We ate a spaghetti dinner with salad and dessert with sweet tea. We were given a bag that contained our Survivor shirt as well as some other goodies. Slipping into the restroom I changed shirts and made my way to the track.



I had brought a folding lounge chair, water and some cookies to snack on. I had a light weight blanket for later in the night when the temperatures would drop. I had placed all of this near our team's tent before I had gone to eat. Now I wandered about and visited with friends while we waited.



When they called for the Survivors to come to the track for the first lap, the Survivor Lap I made my way there. It was an odd feeling (a good feeling) to take my place among so many. When the walk began and everyone along the way was applauding I couldn't help but smile. Oh yes- I was.. I AM a survivor. I wanted to dance, to jump to just go wild but I knew, this was going to be a long night. My family didn't think I could make it all night. Even my husband kept telling me he didn't think I should/ could make the entire night. All of that just made me that much more determined. After we finished our lap the caregivers took their lap. Then, it was open for all to walk.



The music was fun, watching others dance had me wishing that I knew how. Long about ten o:clock people began to wander away. Some had to work the next day, some weren't physically able to stay the night and others simply had no interest. I was determined. I was staying.



The Luminaria Lap was an incredible experience. When they turned out the lights and the only light came from the candles within those bags it was a special feeling. Walking around that track reading the names on the bags so many that were in memory of someone- was heartbreaking. Cancer had taken so many.



Long about two in the morning it was getting much quieter, the crowds had dwindled down to the diehard and determined. You could hear the nightbirds calling off in the distance and every once in a while you could hear a vehicle of some sort passing by. Other than that it was the muted conversations of the people walking. On the sides of the track were the tents of the teams, some were holding fundraising events, selling food for donations, selling trinkets or holding raffles and other drawings. Ever so often you would pass by were exhaustion had claimed a victim and they would be curled up tightly in a blanket as the night's chill was intense. So much so that I had called my son who I knew would still be awake and had him bring me a bigger and heavier blanket.



Hot chocolate and coffee became incredibly good, even if it was simply to hold the warm cup.



When the first lights of dawn began to appear I knew I had made it. I had accomplished what my family had sworn I wouldn't do. I had made it all night. When the sun came up I was crossing the start finish line. Each day since my diagnoses was a new day, a new gift another chance to be a reflection of my Savior. I was- am a survivor. I see things differently now. I get more enjoyment out of the simple things. I enjoy taking my camera and chasing bugs, bees and spiders and yes, the occasional snake. I love walking in the woods hearing the critters moving in the woods around me. Splashing across or even drinking from the creek..feeling the sun on my face. To me, there is much more pleasure to be found outdoors in the gift of this place, than there is sitting at home watching something weird on television or even on the computer.



I was- am a survivor.. and I am thankful.

















































Blessed, a collection of God given inspirational poetry by Rebecca Stepp Revels is available now @

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=2137587

and now also at

Amazon, Books-a-Million and Barnes and Noble .com





The Legend of Dragon's Doom:a Young Warrior's vow, by RS Revels is available @

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/the-legend-of-dragons-doom-a-young-warriors-vow/7505820

and other online sites





also @ Bookin' It, your mobile bookstore @ www.bookin-it.com



Available now @ http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/blessed-in-his-promises/12670945:

Blessed in His Promises



All books available @ Poor Richard's Book Shoppe @ www.PRBookShoppe.com



http://main.acsevents.org/goto/rebeccasrevels

No comments:

Post a Comment