Saturday, November 13, 2010

and a new adventure begins- raising cancer awareness

As a breast cancer survivor I participate in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. I have from right after my diagnoses. I participate, because I know how it feels. I know the looks and the emotions and the fear, that you feel, and that those who love you feels. I have watched friends of mine who have won the battle and those who lost their personal battle.
I do what I can as an individual, and as a part of a Relay team. As one we raise money and we raise awareness of cancer and everything that the American Cancer Society does for those that are in the battle.
When I was in the midst of my own battle I wrote columns that appeared in a local paper. I also wrote numerous blogs on the topic. I have a profile page online on the Relay for Life web site. Last year I posted a series of blogs titled "Blindsided". This year I am doing something a little bit different and posting videos on youtube. These will be recorded from various sites here and around the Dirt Road. The first of the series was posted a little earlier today. Find it here:  When my storm blew pink.   It is a compilation of my reading from things I have written and comments and observations from the heart.
Listen to the wind blowing as I speak- the winds of change as we work to find a cure for cancer. The winds caused by more people blowing out candles as they celebrate more birthdays.
The one thing I ask, please support the American Cancer Society and Relay for Life. Join a team, create a team. Participate in fundraisers or raise funds on your own. Participate in Relay, the all night walk that is meant to bring awareness of cancer. An amazing night of fun, fundraising, music and laughter while all the while remembering the reason we are there. Donate your time, your talent and yes- your money.
Participate and help the ACS as they work to find a cure. Participate and help the ACS as they help those battling cancer with the physical, mental and emotional things that cancer patients and their caregivers need.
Please view my video and if you think it will be of any help for someone you know in their battle feel free to share it with them-

No comments:

Post a Comment